Friday, June 02, 2006

Take Chances With Your Writing, Maybe A Screenwriting Contest?

Through Tobias I found Kelly Link's advice to writers posted here.
There are too many good writers, she says. Writers have to learn to stand out by taking chances. Not by writing an eccentric prose style, but by writing different and surprising stories. Good read.

And to the screenwriters out there who have been completely neglected on this blog even though it is about all kinds of writing, here's your equivalent of NaNoWriMo: The 14 Day Screenplay Challenge starting tonight at midnight.
Via Crafty

Categories: , , , ,

5 comments:

rdl said...

You are just a wealth of information! :D

Melly said...

Thanks Eric :)

rdl, I'm here to serve ;)

Jennifer #1+#2 ;)
It made so much sense the way you descrived it. I actually think I like the second example for novel writing as well, maybe toned down, but I love the showing part.
I have no clue what's the correct/cool way of saying it - script or screen writing, so you're safe here :)

Melly said...

No doubt, it's much much better!

Pat Kirby said...

Given my experience with Link's stories, it seems that "different and surprising" might get the attention of critics, but...honestly, I only got through a few of her "stories."

To each his own, I 'spose, but I like tedious, conventional stuff like a plot and story resolution.

Melly said...

Sometimes I can do without a plot per se, you know, like those stories that are more events than plot. I actually like these, but some stuff is also too much out there for me too.