Sunday, September 18, 2005

This post will stay on top until the run on Sunday

    Terry Fox was diagnosed with bone cancer when he was 18-years-old.
    Terry's leg was amputated 15 centimetres (six inches) above the knee in 1977, but despite going through his own ordeal, the suffering of other cancer patients touched him and he decided to start running across Canada, yes, with only one leg, to raise money for cancer research.
    After practicing for 18 months, Terry started the Marathon of Hope in Newfoundland on April 1980.
    He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day and reached Thunder Bay, Ontario, but on September 1st Terry's cancer appeared in his lungs and he was forced to stop after running for 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles).
    Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22. Canada grieved.
    More than $360 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name through the annual Terry Fox Run, held across Canada and around the world.
Terry's quotes:
I'm not a dreamer, and I'm not saying this will initiate any kind of definitive answer or cure to cancer, but I believe in miracles. I have to.
If you've given a dollar, you are part of the Marathon of Hope.

You can find all about Terry Fox here.

Pledge Online
A person who is very dear to me collects pledges online here.
Donations are accepted from countries around the world.
September 14th - CAD$613.
September 15th - CAD$350 for a total of CAD$963.
September 16th - CAD$0 - for a total of CAD$963.
September 17th - CAD$205 for a total of CAD$1168.

I'll be running in Toronto, Beaches. Join me, if by running, donating or pledging.

My sincere thanks to Trée.

If you have any questions you can email me: allkindsmelly AT gmail.com

Update: Today was a beautiful day. The sun was shining but it wasn't too hot. I'm glad I went, and I'm glad I ran, and I'm glad I donated. The support was phenomenal and people were amazing. Thank you Terry Fox for the legacy you left behind.