Monday, June 20, 2005

I Can Do This - I Can Write

I've just finished reading a book. For the purpose of this discussion--more like a monologue--the book itself doesn't matter. What matters is the feelings I had while reading the book and after I've finished it: I can do this, I kept telling myself. I can write like that. I can even write better. I know it, I've done it.

I know that many writers get that feeling. It was the first time for me but I see it as a good sign. I'm gaining confidence, I trust my abilities as a writer and I know what I'm capable of.

Many writers get frustrated and flustered when they feel that way. How come this writer can publish his/her book and I can't? I write at least as good as s/he.

The answer? I wish I had one. A definite one that is. But I believe it has a lot to do with hard work, perseverance, and some luck too. If one has talent to boot, then there's no reason why one can't be published. Key factors here are the things we can control - hard work and perseverance. The luck - well, I'll leave that to the more spiritual people to handle. Talent? Half the time, talent is a subjective matter.

So why haven't I published a novel yet, only shorts and articles? I know the answer and am working to rectify it.
The question is - why haven't you? and what are you doing to rectify it?

Categories: ,

No comments: